Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take for me to get my license once I have submitted my Application for Licensure?

  • Review of applications is processed as quickly as possible. Our Board Members are volunteers that hold professional positions and have personal commitments however, they do their best to review applications as quickly as possible and is usually within 7-10 business days.
  • If your application is not complete and additional information or documentation is needed, the Board office will email you requesting the additional information needed and this will delay your application review time.
  • It is important that you review all of the requirements needed to apply for licensure to submit all documentation as indicated so you will not experience delays for having an imcomplete application.

What is the process for the license renewals?

  • The renewal form and fee along with the proof of continuing education should be submitted and postmarked no later than December 1st of each year.
  • Applications received after December 1st cannot be guaranteed renewal certification by January 1st due to the overwhelming number of renewals in December. We will process renewals based on first complete applications received. The Board requests that you plan and submit your application early.
  • The Board has until January 31st to provide new certificates to licensees.

What if I miss the deadline?

  • If your renewal application form, fee and continuing education proof are not received by December 31st, the license expires, and you may not practice until the Board renews your license or grants approval of your renewal.

How many Credits do I need?

  • To maintain a current license in the state of North Dakota, Audiologists, Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) and a Speech-Language Pathology Licensed Assistant (SLP-LA) must have one (1) Continuing Education Unit which equals to ten (10) hours. This one (1) unit or ten (10) clock hours must be completed during the calendar year preceeding your new license year.

How are Clock Hours and Continuing Education Units different?

  • Clock Hours are represented in time where Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are calculated in decimals. (1) Clock Hour = 0.1 CEU. The Board requires 10 Clock Hours or 1.0 CEUs each year to maintain a license.

What kind of Credits or Hours are allowed?

  • Credits or Hours must be relevant to the profession and the practice of Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology.
  • If the topic is indirectly related to the profession, but could be justified, licensees can request approval for these courses ahead of time by submitting a continuing education request form located on our website.
  • The Board Licensing Secretary will review and approve, or your request will be presented at the next scheduled Board meeting for review and a final determination made. If approved, the class will be added to our approved CEU list and we will notify you by email. Please note classes or courses not approved will be documented accordingly and you will need to find a replacement one to satisfy your yearly requirement.

Do I have to have a license to practice within the school system and as an SLP-LA?

  • The North Dakota State Board of Examiners and the Department of Public Instruction has different qualifications for licensing.
  • Our Board requires a four (4) year Communication Disorders Bachelor’s degree to apply for licensing as a Speech-Language Pathology-Licensed Assistant (SLP-LA) in this state.
  • The Department of Public Instruction (DPI) licenses its own school-based Speech-Language Pathology Paraprofessionals (SLPP) though sometimes called Speech-Language Pathology Assistants. DPI requires a two (2) year degree.
  • Speech-Language Pathology Paraprofessionals (SLPPs) can only practice within the school setting.
  • To work within the school setting you need a SLPP certificate from the Department of Public Instruction.

If I am concerned about a fellow Audiologist or Speech-Language Pathologist, how do I contact the Board?

  • If you feel that a fellow licensee is in engaging in unethical or illegal activity, the Board encourages you to file a complaint. A complaint can come in the form of a letter, in which the following information needs to be included:
    1. Name of licensee and license number if possible.
    2. Date of incident.
    3. Description of the complaint.
    4. Name and contact information of the individual making the complaint

How much are Licensing Fees?

  • The initial application fee is $100.00.
  • The current licensing fee is $250.00 and an application fee of $100.00. Total of $350.00.
  • The current renewal fee is $75.00.
  • These fees are the same across the board for Audiologist, Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) and Speech-Language Pathology License Assistants (SLP-LAs).
  • The Board is established to protect both licensees and the public to ensure high quality care and ethical and legal standards.

Does the Board help with Third-Party Payer disputes?

  • The Board does not take a position on Third-Party Payer issues or disputes.
  • The Board’s purpose is to verify the qualifications and requirements for practicing Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology in the state of North Dakota.
  • The Board is established to protect both licensees and the public to ensure high-quality care and ethical and legal standards.

Where can I find the code of ethics?

Page Updated: 9/28/2021 4:37:34 PM